The "room within a room" is a concept Vitra has been working on for some time now with the designers Ronan and Erwan Bourellec. The idea of mobile, micro-architectural elements has initiated a number of different designs, the most remarkable of which is the Alcove Highback Sofa. It was designed for the open-plan office, where it offers employees a comfortable, upholstered niche which protects them from the hectic goings on around them. This makes it the perfect place to retreat to for concentrated work or meetings in small groups.
The members of the Alcove Sofa Family can be easily combined and create a versatile set of options for dividing open office landscapes without permanent fixtures. This makes it possible to set up entire central areas within open-plan offices — for meet & retreat — with a uniform aesthetic.
Depending on the product, the back and side panels are 94 cm, 136 cm (Highback) and 187 cm (Xtra High) high. In addition to the soft "lounge upholstery", they come in a firmer "work upholstery" version which makes it easier to sit up straight.
- Frame/supporting structure: polished chrome tubular steel
- Carcass: very high back and side panels for visual and acoustic isolation, with incorporated MDF panel, connected by zip fasteners
- Upholstery/seat: polyurethane foam and polyester wadding
- Covers: removable in lounge upholstery version = 485 mm (measured acc. to EN 1335-1 =325 mm)
- Backrest cushions and set of cushions: polyurethane chips and microfibre filling; the set of cushions is available separately
- Legs: polished chrome tubular steel